Recreational Skiing on Black Mountain
By the mid-1930’s Hollyburn ski pioneers were crossing Cypress Creek to access the ski grounds near the top of Black Mountain’s north-facing slopes and the gentler terrain around Yew Lake. Photos of skiers in these two locations appear in the collections of Margaret Ommundsen, Bud MacInnes, June Gillrie, Peggy Pratt, and ‘Queenie’ Robb. Reaching this terrain required considerable effort. Because the ski runs on Mount Strachan and Hollyburn Mountain were much more accessible, it was not until 1976, when the Cypress Bowl downhill ski facilities opened, did large numbers of skiers appear on these slopes.